If you love singing and listening to song, then help VoiceBox raise its voice!
If you enjoy VoiceBox, if you are part of the singing community, if you think more people should know what the vocal arts are all about, then VoiceBox needs your help. Labels: support
Help Sustain Our Voice: Become a Supporter of VoiceBox!
Many wonderful individuals and a few groundbreaking organizations have helped to make VoiceBox a reality. Now, the project is in need of your investment to take it to the next level and make a difference to more public radio listeners, vocal music fans and the singing community.
Please join the VoiceBox team on this boundary-pushing journey in vocal music media by making a monthly tax-deductible pledge (for as little as $5 a month) or one-time donation* to the project.
Your generous support will help keep VoiceBox on the airwaves and Internet. Donating is quick and easy. Simply click here to access our secure PayPal page.
What people are saying about VoiceBox:
"People love to sing. But until now, there have been few if any places for lovers of vocal music to go to get intelligent, in-depth discussion about the art of song and learn about interesting singers across a wide range of styles. I am tremendously thrilled about the arrival of VoiceBox on the media landscape."
Frederica von Stade, operatic mezzo-soprano
"I enjoy and appreciate VoiceBox. It's thoughtful, knowledgeable dialogue about all things vocal takes us to cultures around the world and back to the beginning of recorded history, all with a fresh perspective, covering topics that until now have not been addressed on public radio."
Deke Sharon, music director, NBC's The Sing-Off
"There have been plenty of radio shows about opera singing or art song, but none that I know of has taken in the whole world of singing, from classical to pop, from Meredith Monk to the French chanteuse, with such ease and panache."
Tom Voegeli, producer, NPR's From the Top
More reasons to get behind VoiceBox:
- We are attracting a solid audience for a young project and are already being syndicated through several stations in Northern and Southern California including the major, Los Angeles-based classical music station KUSC. According to data gathered from KALW and KUSC in April 2012, our listenership currently stands at around 15,000 listeners per show in slightly more than two years of being on the air. This figure does not include people who access the show via the online download. Our Facebook page and Twitter feeds are accruing new fans each week.
- VoiceBox has been written up in such media outlets as the San Francisco Chronicle, San Francisco Classical Voice and Early Music America and was mentioned on the New York public radio stations WNYC and WQXR.
- So far on the series, we have featured the music of more than 200 Bay Area artists and vocal music experts alongside national and international artists and vocal music experts. We feature up and coming voices as well as established leaders in the field.
- Early on in VoiceBox's history, we formed a collaborative partnership with students and recent graduates at San Francisco State University and produced a series of underground podcasts loosely based on the VoiceBox radio show theme of the week. Today, we provide several creative internship opportunities for students at Bay Area high schools and universities.
- VoiceBox has covered a truly eclectic panoply of vocal music subjects and featured noteworthy guests during its short time on the airwaves so far. Subjects covered in the series to date include: operatic sopranos (with internationally-acclaimed artist Patricia Racette and up-and-coming star Leah Crocetto) the relationship between guitar and voice (with guitarist Brian Gore and pop vocalist Scheherezade Stone), the history and development of comedy in singing (with comedian Will Franken) and many more.
- We have attracted the support of several prominent local and national organizations including the Wattis Foundation, the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), the San Francisco Symphony, San Francisco Opera, Chorus America and Meyer Sound.
* VoiceBox is a fiscally sponsored project of Independent Arts & Media, a non-profit, San Francisco-based producer's co-op and media/culture incubator with a mission to expand civic dialogue by increasing access to independent voices. Tax ID: 94-3355076.